Monday, September 8, 2008

An oldy, but definitely a goody

As someone that is a fan of first-person shooter games, I'm always on the look out for a good game of that genre. Anyone that's a fan of this genre has more than likely heard of Crysis. Now, the purpose of this post isn't a review of the game, but I want to point out three things about this game.

First of all, the visuals are amazing. If you don't believe me, look up some screenshots of the game in it's full detail glory. I never knew computer graphics could generate a sunrise that looked so amazing. It does require quite a beefy video card, but since it came out the prices on video cards have kept dropping. I use an Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB card and it runs the game quite well at pretty high detail levels.


I found this picture on-line in a forum. It isn't mine.

Second, the story is very well done. I don't know of many first-person shooters that are known for great stories. About the only one that comes to mind is the Half-Life series (another excellent series). The story kept me wanting to play and find out what was going to happen next.

Now, the third and final thing about this game is why I wrote this post. Be warned that the language in this game is absolutely awful. I purchased the game, played through it, then returned it because the language was so bad. Luckily, I happened to know a person at school that discovered a way to edit the language content. So I ended up purchasing the game again and editing the audio. I have no idea if posting my edited language pack (I call it my clean language pack) would be a violation of copyright law, so I won't post it here. I spent a few hours going through all the mp2 files in the game and editing out the bad language in the single player campaign. If you want a copy, just post a comment and I'll see what I can do about getting it to you. I think everyone should have a chance to play this amazing game without listening to the constant barrage of F-words.

No comments: