Friday, September 26, 2008

Fun with Apache

Over the last week I've been busy getting a new MySQL server and Apache server built on our new VMware ESX server at work. Everything has gone smoothly with the exception of one thing. For the life of me, I cannot get Apache to cooperate. For our new SVN repository, I'm using the mod_dbd module for MySQL authentication, but every time I enable it using "DBDriver mysql" in httpd.conf I randomly start getting errors like the following on start and stop of Apache:

/etc/init.d/apache2: line 43: 16808 Segmentation fault ${APACHE2} ${APACHE2_OPTS} -t > /dev/null 2>&1

The weird thing about it is that it occurs randomly. Sometimes I can stop and restart without any problems at all. The second I remove the DBDriver line, everything works great. What makes it even stranger is that I have a 32 Bit virtual machine on my laptop that uses the module without any problems at all. Our server is running 64 Bit Gentoo, but I have gone to the point of making everything identical (with that one exception). Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this problem?

2 comments:

Cotton said...

Did you ever figure this problem out? I'm having the exact same issue trying to get apache2.2 with mysql auth up on 64-bit Gentoo..

Heaje said...

Cotton: In a couple of later posts I wrote about what caused the problem and how I set up SVN. See the cause here and my SVN setup here. Also, see this mailing list for the bugs filed on Gentoo with this problem.